Monday, May 09, 2005

a chicken eating vegetarian....

The other night I had the pleasure of spending about 9 hours in the emergency room with my little sister (she's 19) due to complications from her taking too much meth & not taking care of her diabetes as a result of said indulgence.
She's doing better now, physically, but not so well mentally.
She thinks that she can get off the meth while still maintaining the same friendships that she has now, and she can do it on her own without any help from rehab, counseling or a 12 step group.
This is going to be a long drawn out process.

Now, on to the entertainment....
First, I must issue a disclaimer.
I do not find suicide attempts to be amusing at all. I think it is very tragic when one feels that they have lost all hope to the point that death is their best option. It's especially tragic when this is a young person in their teens or twenties who has their entire life ahead of them.
However, their antics in the emergency room can be entertaining.
While I was with my sister a 16 year old was brought in who had attempted suicide.
When she was first brought in, she was cussing out all of the nurses and hitting & kicking at them to the point that they were threatening to restrain and sedate her. After a minute she calmed down and a security guard was posted outside her door - a nice elderly gentleman named Jack.
After a couple minutes the girl started fussing for something to eat, so the nurse came in asking if she had any special dietary requirements...

GIRL: "I'm vegetarian, so I'll eat vegetables and fruit and grains, and chicken."

huh? chicken is on a vegetarian diet? I'm confused....
but anyways, on with the evening.

When the girl was initially brought in all of her personal effects were taken, including her shoes.
When she announced that she needed to go to the bathroom, but alas she is without shoes...

GIRL: "I WANT MY SHOES. I need to go to the bathroom and I want my fucking shoes, I'm not walking on this floor barefoot. You know that people have pooped and defacated and urinated all over this floor. And you KNOW that people have had sex in this bed too."

A nurse brought her a pair of those paper surgical slippers, but those wouldnt do. So she took a few of the latex gloves out of the box on the wall and somehow managed to fashion those around her feet. I wish I could descibe HOW she did it, it was quite amusing.

After she comes back from her bathroom break, she finishes up her dinner and the psych dr comes in to tell her that theyre keeping her on a 72 hour hold. Naturally she was not pleased and everyone around her knew it. While she was crying to her motherabout the 72 hour hold, a nurse came in and took away her empty dinner tray which she promptly noticed as soon as she calmed down.

GIRL: Wheres my tray? Did they take my tray?
GIRLS MOM: honey, you were all done so they took it away.
GIRL: I HATE THIS PLACE! THEY TAKE EVERYTHING AWAY FROM YOU! THEY TAKE YOUR DIGNITY, THEY TAKE YOUR FREEDOM, THEY TAKE YOUR SHOES AND THEY TAKE YOUR TRAY!!!! WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO TRY TO TAKE NEXT? MY UNDERWEAR? I'M GOING DOWN FIGHTING IF THEY TRY TO TAKE MY UNDERWEAR

A little later in the evening she reveals to Jack the security guard that she's a lesbian. It was an interesting conversation to overhear as Jack initially didnt understand what she meant when she said she was a "ladies lady" but it eventually dawned on him. A few minutes later she was telling him about her "kinda-sorta-boyfriend"

So, I spent a few hours next to a chicken eating vegetarian lesbian with a boyfriend.

No comments: