Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Felting in progress...

I've put my own cute little felted bag through its first wash cycle.
However, its not as felted as much as I'd like and hasnt shrunk as much as I'd like. Now that is most likely because I'd only put it through a warm wash and not hot. When I went to put it in the washer my internet was down (It's COMCASTIC!) so I couldn't look up felting instructions. I thought it was hot that you're supposed to put it through, but I wasn't positive so I decided to err on the side of caution and go with warm. I've ran it through one wash in hot and its about half way through the second wash in hot, so it should be finished felting shortly. All thats left is to attach the handles and find a cute button to adorn it with.
I haven't been able to do too much knitting this week, so D's birthday bag isn't quite finished, but I think I should be able to get the knitting completed by tomorrow night. I won't be able to complete the felting this weekend as I'm going out of town. I'm venturing down to San Francisco to visit my dear cousin Erin and her husband Jeremy. A local church is having a fundraiser for their music department... a Broadway Sing Along! This should be so much fun. I LOVE singing along to showtunes.

I've already selected my next knitting project. Valerie was looking at patterns for knitting bags, and I think I need one as well. I've selected this one.
I'm going to be using the same colors in the photo, although it was a tough decision. I was thinking about using the Lilac-Fuschia and the Lilac-White, the ultimate decision maker? Only O-N-E LYS in the Sacramento area carries Crystal Place Trio, and the selection there was very limited. The Circus-Celery and Kiwi-Celery were the only coordinating colors they had that I liked. I also purchased my very first circulars and DPN's.
The bag calls for a few techniques that I've never heard of before. A cable cast on. I-cord handles. Thankfully the pattern has links on how to do many of the techniques



I also got some Outback Mohair from Plymouth Yarn (on the right) while I was there. I'd purchased the Outback Wool (on the left) a couple of months ago but wasnt sure that I wanted to do with it. I think I may use the two to make a larger version of the Cute Little Felted bag.
I'm not sure when I'll be working on this one as there are a couple of projects lined up ahead of it.

1 comment:

kimananda said...

That bag looks cute. It makes me think I should re-learn how to knit...but I've always wanted to learn to crochet as well. What would you say are the biggest differences between the two? Mind you, I would have to give up cross-stitching for a while, but it would be nice to start a craft where I could wear what I made...I still have the two scarves that I made during the brief time I could knit, and one of them is my absolute favorite and I wear it all the time...it's simple double Irish moss stitch, really long, and made of the cheapest pinkest acrylic yarn you can imagine, but I love it anyway!