Friday, May 08, 2009

Theres A New Phone In Town

For the past couple of years I've been using the LG Fusic phone from Sprint.
Overall, it was decent, but in the past year it had developed some... issues.



For example, while closed, it would randomly turn on the speaker phone and redial my last call. Keep in mind, this is a flip phone so while closed the phone should not be making or receiving any calls.
Also, it had these little buttons along the sides. Those buttons had become hyper-sensitive... I guess.
While in my purse or pocket, again closed, the MP3 player would randomly turn on and start playing music. Sometimes the camera would turn on by itself and I would end up with extreme close ups of the contents of my purse.
However, the weirdest and hardest for me to figure out, was a voice I heard in my ear one day as I was driving down the road. I had my headset in my ear and out of nowhere theres a voice saying "Call from Mom" except this voice almost had a british accent, so it was more like "Call frum Mum". What the bloody hell? I jumped to the point of almost causing an accident. What else do you expect my reaction to be when I'm alone in my car and hearing british accents in my head?
That one took a while for me to figure out. Apparently the phone had a "Voice Guide" mode that had somehow been turned on.

AGGRAVATING.

So, I've been wanting a new phone for a while now. Of course, being an Apple junkie, I really wanted the iPhone. However, that would involve switching carriers. I've had Sprint for 8 years now and am content to stay with them. Also, the iPhone, while coming down in price in the past year, is still rather pricey and my understanding is that the plan needed to support the iPhone would be a substantially higher monthly bill than what I currently have.
I decided to stay with Sprint and was initially just thinking that I would get a phone that has a full QWERTY keyboard because I text a lot and was tired of texting on a standard phone key pad. Then, a coworker who has the Samsung Instinct (Sprints iPhone knock off) let me play with her phone for a bit this past week.
I went with the Instinct.

It is taking a bit of getting used to, and I'm trying to fully explore it this evening so that I'm not a bumbling idiot with it when actually trying to make/receive calls.
Also, normally I am one of those people who always passes on the additional insurance for electronics. Everything I've read about them says that they're a total waste of money. However, considering my luck with anything technological this past year, I did opt for the insurance this time. Hopefully I won't have to take advantage of it too many times

No comments: