Monday, August 25, 2008

Theres Someone I'd Like You to Meet...



Professor RB Cooper, but I just call him Cooper.

He is 14 weeks old today.

A couple of years ago, my aunt had a miniature poodle imported from France (shes a huge francophile and wanted an actual french poodle) with the thoughts that she may breed her a few years down the road. Fast forward to this past spring when Antoinette had a brief but fervent love affair with the neighbors lhasa apso, Spike.

After Maddie passed away, I went to my aunts house in Fairfield to borrow a program disc to upgrade the operating system on my computer. This little guy didn't have a home yet and he and I just kinda fell for each other.

The difference between him and Maddie is astounding. Maddie was in tune to my energy levels and emotions from day one. Even when I brought her home at 8 weeks old, she would pick up on my moods and just roll with it. If I'd had a rough day at work and just wanted to veg out in front of the television, she would cuddle up on my lap and chill out. If I was more upbeat we'd go out in the back yard and play fetch for an hour. She was awesome that way.

This little guy? Its like he's on crack half the time. Training him is going to be more of a challenge than it has ever been with any dog I've ever had. I think I'm definitely going to have to take him to training sessions at Petsmart or someplace like that.

He frustrates the crap out of me, chews on my ears to wake me up in the morning, has destroyed more than one skein of yarn, loves to trot out into the living room with my dirty panties in his mouth when theres company over, "yells" at me when he's decided that its my bedtime, and throws temper tantrums when I stop paying attention to him long enough to take a shower.
Even with all of this, when I left him with my aunt and uncle so they could puppysit while I went on a camping trip with friends, I missed him every single day and worried when I didn't get a text message update on how he was doing each morning, afternoon, and evening.

He is a pain in the ass, but I adore him.

No comments: